If you are looking for legal help, look no fuRther than The Jimenez Law Group, APC. Get Your Consultation
How to Get an Emergency Protection Order in California
The first thing you will want to do after calling the authorities is to seek an emergency protective order.
- These can be obtained from your local law enforcement officials.
- Essentially, these orders are a temporary restraining order that requires your abuser to stay away.
- It will also grant you temporary custody of your children, which is especially important if your abuser was the primary custodian.
- Once this is granted, you will need to file a domestic violence restraining order for more permanent protection.
What Qualifies as Domestic Violence in California?
In California, abuse is not just considered acts of physical violence. In fact, California recognizes acts such as these abusive, ans thus, punishable by law:
- Verbal abuse
- Sexual abuse
- Physiological abuse
Following such a crime you can file for a restraining order with the assistance of our family law attorney in Lancaster, CA.
How Long Does a California Restraining Order Last?
- In California, an emergency order lasts one week.
- A temporary restraining order can last for 20-25 days.
- A “permanent” restraining order for domestic violence can last 5 years.
Following a temporary order, a hearing will be conducted where the judge will determine if a permanent order is needed. An individual can also request a renewal, to keep their restraining order in effect.
Contact Our Lancaster Domestic Violence Attorney Today
For more information on what to do after an abusive domestic incident, get in touch with our Lancaster domestic violence attorney today. We can advise you on what your best options are moving forward and help you fight for your safety and the safety of your loved ones.
Contact the Lancaster domestic violence lawyer at The Jimenez Law Group, APC today to get started. We conveniently serve clients from our offices in Lancaster and Santa Clarita.
“Best experience with this service!”- Claudia Rocio C.
“Excellent Attorney!”- April D.
“I know I already said it, but I want to say again, thank you so much! Your willingness to help was such a blessing! May God pour out his rich blessings upon you!”- Casey H.
“I had all the confidence in her and she never let me down.”- Victoria S.
“The love and support they have for their clients is outstanding!”- Jessica M.
20 Years of Experience